Who hasn’t been under the pressure of not being able to fit everything inside your suitcase when you have to return from your trip? If you like shopping, good and local cheese, Dutch sweets and good deals, this will definitely happen to you when visiting Amsterdam.
Buying a cheap piece of luggage in Amsterdam is a good and easy-to-accomplish idea. The best places to buy cheap luggage are:
- Albert Cuyp Market
Either because you are too good at shopping, because you were not considering buying check-in items and you end up doing it or because the zipper of your luggage broke during the trip to Amsterdam, there are many places, all of them relatively cheap and convenient, to get a piece of luggage from, without having to get away from the city centre of Amsterdam. If you want to know my recommendations, keep reading!
Buying Cheap Luggage: Best Places in Amsterdam
There is nothing more common than having to get a suitcase or a new bag while travelling. When I travel solo it doesn’t tend to happen, however, when I am visiting my family I always come back with an extra bag that I have stolen from them. When my family and friends come to visit me in Amsterdam, there is always the big risk of having to get a new piece of luggage because of all the things they want to buy every time they come.
I know, Amsterdam is a very dangerous city for those who like clothing, deals, cheese, sweets, stationery and almost anything, really 😉 . That is why I have made a couple of guides to help my family (and possibly you) to know where it is best to do something: Best Shopping Areas or also the Best Cheese Experiences and Affordable Stores, among others.
Today I wanted to share my experience of buying cheap luggage when in need. Here are the places where I know you can find useful cheap luggage: Primark, HEMA, Kalverstraat, Action, Decathlon, and Albert Cuyp Market.
Primark is heaven for those of us who like a good deal. In any case, when it comes to buying cheap luggage, I have a lot of experience in this store. Every time my brother comes to visit me, (which is quite a lot, to be honest), he HAS TO come to Primark. The fruitful shopping spree he and his friends or his wife go through never ever fits in the suitcases they already bring along with them. Therefore, every time they go to Primark they go directly to the 5th floor to choose a suitcase.
Advantages of Primark Suitcases:
- Location: You can find them on the 5th floor of the Primark store in Dam Square: this is an absolutely marvelous location and it means that there is no way you will run out of chances to go.
- Sizes: Are you looking for a cabin suitcase? Are you looking for a big one? Do you want a hard case or a soft one? Do you mind the color? They have it all, literally.
- Price: This is definitely the best part because you will be able to find a piece of luggage for about 20 euros, which is mindblowing. It may not be the strongest case you will have ever owned but I can assure you after seeing how much my brother fills it in that it can reach your final destination without struggles.
- Opening Hours: Primark opens every single day of the week, from 9 am until 10 pm, which means that if you realise too late that you actually do need more space, you are still in time to be able to find a solution.
- Store advantages: let’s say that like the shopaholic of my brother you get half of the store whenever you go to Primark, well, the cashier will fold all your items and place them properly inside the suitcase you are buying from Primark if you want to. This is something that would end up being helpful for a lot of you guys. One less thing to worry about!
HEMA: Buying Luggage
HEMA is one of the most famous Dutch stores in all of Europe. It is a shop where you will find literally a little bit of everything, and luckily for us, this includes suitcases. I personally own a super cute HEMA suitcase that I use as carry-on luggage on most of my trips. It is NOT THE CHEAPEST luggage you will find, but even though it is a little bit of an investment, it won’t be as expensive as other brands that you will be able to find in specialised stores or the airport and you will get something really cute, strong, useful and Dutch.
When in Amsterdam, you should visit HEMA. Moreover, if you want to get a piece of luggage from them you will be able to find:
- Relatively good prices (30-50 euros)
- A lot of cute designs and cool suitcase to make your stand out among the rest and not be one of those persons with a black or blue suitcase that grabs all of them until you finally find yours.
- A lot of sizes: carry on luggage, bigger pieces of luggage, bags, backpacks and all the options.
There are a couple of HEMA in the Centre of Amsterdam, including Kalverstraat. The most centric ones are:
- HEMA Kalver Passage, Kalverstraat 212, 1012 XH (open from 9 am until 7 pm)
- HEMA Jodenbreestraat 11, 1011 NG (open from 8 am until 8 pm)
- HEMA Nieuwendijk 174-176, 1012 MT (open from 9 am until 9 pm)
Action: Cheap Suitcases
In case you didn’t know, Action is the bazar or the Netherlands, that place where you can find a lot of everything and whenever you are on the hunt for some crafting element, socks for football or anything at all, you go there to find a cheap and quick option.
Action sells cheap suitcases, mostly carry on luggage. I won’t assure you that all the store will have it stocked up and it will definitely not be the best quality, but you will have a 20 euros solution. If you are walking around and you find an Action, enter and ask if they have some! (They may also have cheap locks and other items such as those vacuum-closed bags for fitting more items in your suitcase and so on!)
Check out their website for all the options and where you can find one close to you.
Kalverstraat: Luggage Stores
Kalverstraat is the most famous shopping street in Amsterdam and the whole Netherlands. There is a mix of stores where you will be able to find a little bit of everything, including luggage stores. If you are doing some shopping around there you will be able to see the stores, which are owned by locals and have no real brand. These are not always the cheapest ones but you may be able to get a good deal out of it.
Decathlon: Sporty Luggage
Decathlon is close to Bijlmer Arena in Amsterdam Zuid, only convenient if you are planning on visiting the Stadium or something close to the area.
In Decathlon you will be able to find all type of suitcases and bag from 20 euros onwards. I have recommended it to people who have a more specific requirement and don’t want a normal average mini hard suitcase.
In this case, you can check their website and see if they have what you are looking for on the store and if what they have convinced you, description, etc. It is open from Monday to Friday, from 9:30 am until 9 pm and also on the weekends from 9:30 am until 7 pm.
Albert Cuyp Market
Albert Cuyp Market is a great plan to add to your activities when in Amsterdam. This means that if you already know that you need to get a piece of luggage when you arrive or if the zipper of your suitcase arrived broken to your destination, you can take advantage of enjoying the market while shopping for suitcases.
It is not the main place that would come to my mind when I think about getting a suitcase, but I always take a look at the shops that offer than when I walk around the market.
P.S. It is not open on Sundays so you will have to go to any of the other options if you are looking for a suitcase during the weekend.
- If you have a lot of luggage when travelling, you can ask at your hotel in the reception if they can store your luggage for a couple of hours. In my experience, we would do this for tourists for free, so it is good to consider it.
- If you can’t leave your luggage anywhere but you still want to visit the city and enjoy your last day, read: Where to store your luggage in Amsterdam. It will leave you much calmer and will make your day much better and stress-free.